Monday 13 December 2010

What is the correct way to chant nam myoho renge kyo? How to chant nam myoho renge kyo

Focus on your chanting. The rest will come to you in good time.
Hey Robbie

I enjoy your site but I have a question that has confused me.

It's not just in things I've read from you but from books and other chanters. Often in the same paragraph it will be suggested that one thinks of little if anything at all while chanting and then the encouragement to chant for one's happiness or some specific goal or goals. This has created a deadlock in my practice because I never feel like I'm doing it correctly. I've been chanting about four years now and I don't want it to be a useless austerity. Also, your view that chanting isn't a good cause in itself raises the question about how one's life state is when we chant. If one is a negative person, wouldn't the idea be to change that through chanting?

f one already has confidence, positivity and self-belief, then why chant at all. Any help on these questions would be appreciated.
Thanks
WR


My response:


How to chant nam myoho renge kyo?


Hi WR

Some very good questions there indeed. So you want to know how to make chanting nam myoho renge kyo effective? Well chanting is something that anyone can do.

These are all questions I have asked my self.

The idea with chanting is that there is no right or wrong way. As long as you are sitting still, with your eyes focused on either The Gohonzon or a blank space, then that is all you must do.

Anyone who has told you to formulate your chanting is incorrect.

When you "chant for specific" things, what is best is to write them down, and then sit and chant.

The process of chanting is deeply profound and all you need do is simply chant. It matters not what is going through your mind, but it simply allows you to focus with time. It takes practice, years of practice.

Chanting can become very boring if you have no motivation and what you mentioned at the end that if you are already a very positive person, why chant?

We are told that chanting alone, is not enough, that we must have faith, practice and study (learning, reading, developing our selves) this is Buddhism and the three pillars.

I can understand your point of view about deadlock, you feel like you have got to a point and then cant go further.

I think what is very important is your attitude to the chanting. You are doing it for your self and not for anyone else. No one is forcing your or expecting you to do it and there should certainly never be any guilt for NOT doing it.

It is a daily practice to help you become closer to your self, to know your self better.

It is advised to do it daily, on waking, to greet a new day, with a positive start, and then before bed as a way to thank the universe for everything you have received that day, as a sort of gratitude practice.

When you think about it, your day is really where you live your life. If you chant morning and evening, you surround your day with the positive and life affirming process of chanting.

The chanting is a good cause, as it puts you on the right track.

I know in my self that when I do not chant, I can get very angry, very easily. I have quite a temper on me and I can loose it easily.

When I have been doing a lot of diamoku (chanting) I am calmer and I tend not to over react and to revert to my old way of being, or the behaviour I have learnt from my father or mother.

It would be interesting to learn how much study you are doing, you should defiantly consider reading a book called The Buddha in Daily Life by Richard Causton. You can get a copy on Amazon.

(Amazon UK - Check out 'The Buddha In Daily Life: An Introduction to the Buddhism of Nichiren...' by Causton, Richard G Causton ... http://amzn.to/dXOogr)

Now the next time you sit down and chant and feel like you are doing it wrong, just remind your self that this is for you and this is your time, alone with your thoughts.

If you dont feel like doing it, dont. If you feel like doing 2 minutes, do 2 minutes. If you feel like doing 30 minutes do 30 minutes.

There is no guilt or regret in what we do.

But, the more you do it, and the deeper the connection you have with your mind and body, the happier you will be as a person.

As the un-happiness that most people feel is an illusion, or its caused by a minded clouded by emotion.

We break through these clouds, when we spend time with our selves and connect with our true selves, our Buddha nature.

This is why there are other people (non-buddhists) who are able to manifest deep happiness as they are able to connect with this part of them selves, regularly.

Nichiren Buddhism is just one path of many.

Don't every let anyone tell you that, this is the only way to happiness. I believe there are many paths to wholeness.

It just so happens that this path is relatively free from dogma and rules and laws and temples etc

Its all about your daily life, your mind, your body, your community, and how the whole world fits together.

I do hope all this makes sense.

I am by no means a master at this stuff, but I feel I do have a deep and profound understanding of the practice.

So please just take my advice if you connect with it or feel right about it.

Never do something unless it feels right to you.

Just trust that when you are chanting, you are the Buddha and that you are able to manifest the Buddha nature in your daily life.

Namaste friend.

Robbie

3 comments:

  1. Do you need to be member for chanting NAM MYU HORENGe kyu.Thought i am not a member but i have been chanting to achieve my goals but i am not successful.Kindly guide me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, you do not need to become a member no. I would recommend this book.

      Please buy it and read it, it will help.

      http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Buddha-Daily-Life-Introduction/dp/071267456X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343648666&sr=8-1

      I would recommed it to help answer your questions.

      Delete

SHARE THIS POST

Top 3 Posts